We have refined discussion questions defining which key drivers and issues we should investigate in considering what will make Richmond a world class community in 2030.
How can the region grow and prosper economically in the globally competitive environment of the 21st century?
- Examine how the region can become a major east coast logistics center, capitalizing on its locational advantages, existing business infrastructure, and on developments occurring at the Port of Richmond, Fort Lee, and the Virginia Port Authority.
- Examine how the region can become a leader in the revitalization of advanced manufacturing in the U.S.
- Examine how health care innovation (in delivery and research) can drive economic development in the region.
- Explore how Richmond’s creative community can be leveraged more effectively to brand the region as a center of innovation.
- Explore how the region can do a better job attracting and retaining highly qualified young people.
How can the region provide the level of STEM education and STEM-based workforce development that will prepare citizens of the region with the capacity to succeed in the knowledge-based economy of the 21st Century?
- Catalyze a public-private STEM partnership to position the region as a leader in STEM education and workforce development.
- Highlight the importance of providing high school students who are not planning to attend four year universities with the career skills that will enable them to be successful in the workplace.
How can the arts and cultural institutions contribute more effectively to the quality of life and appeal of the region?
- Examine how history can become a unifying driver of tourism in the region and link Richmond to similar efforts in Charlottesville, Williamsburg and Petersburg.
- Examine how the region’s assets in the arts can be maximized to both enhance the quality of life in the region, and become a major driver of economic development and tourism.
How can the region capitalize on its locational assets?
- Examine how the region can capitalize on its position as the state capital.
- Examine how the region can take greater advantage of its proximity to the nation’s capital, including Dulles International Airport.
- Examine the major enhancements, including higher speed rail, which can be made to the transportation system of central Virginia.
How can the non-profit and philanthropic communities most effectively contribute to the key drivers that will make Richmond a world class community in 2030 and which are in keeping with the sector’s charitable mission?
- Examine how the sector supports efforts to ensure that all residents have the opportunity to succeed and prosper.
- Examine how the region can best respond to the challenges and opportunities posed by the changing demographics of the area.